Career academies employ a 40-year proven model that works to increase college and career readiness for students. Career academies bring together academic and career and technical education into one comprehensive experience for students.
ELEMENTS OF A CAREER ACADEMY
- A small learning community, comprising a group of students within the larger high school who take classes together for at least two years, taught by a team of teachers from different disciplines.
- A college-preparatory curriculum with a career theme, enabling students to see relationships among academic subjects and their applications to a broad field of work.
- Partnerships with employers, the community, and local colleges, bringing resources from outside the high school to improve student motivation and achievement.
BENEFITS OF CAREER ACADEMIES IN MISSISSIPPI
- Increase curriculum relevance for students
- Increase student achievement
- Reduce the dropout rate
- Increase postsecondary attainment
- Help industries hire highly skilled workers
- Improve the earning prospects of students
- Align with other efforts to ensure youth and adults have the skills and credentials our economy demands